Related nodes and custom breadcrumbs
Sometimes, having an easy to use CMS like Drupal or Joomla is just one more excuse to keep on tweaking. Just now I added a related nodes block to the article and project pages. Let's say I write an article like this and I tag it drupal. A couple other articles on the same topic are shown in a block in the right column. Hard to do? I don't think so! Just use the views module an some view arguments, like so.
There's more stuff I changed in the last week or so. I completely changed the functionality of the breadcrumbs. I wanted them to reflect the structure I use for clean urls. But I wanted to use page titles instead of the url shorthand (and lowercase) terms. So I created a little snippet. Let's say I have an project with a fairly simple url like /projects/world-domination.
- first I fetch the url and system path
- then I breaks it up in into parts using the / as divider (so I have 3 parts: /, /projects and /projects/world-domination)
- for each part I check if the url is pointing to a valid page.
- for each valid target page I fetch the page title
- then I return all the breadcrumbs with valid links back to the theme
- If the clean url path wasn't found, the normal system breadcrumbs are used as a fallback mechanism
and... Presto! A simple breadcrumb bar for all the project nodes. Including "Home" and the current page's title. Off course I needed to find other solutions for Views, Taxonomy, System paths, etc. but that's a longer (and even more boring) story. I anyone's curious how I did it. I'll send them the code.